Sunday, April 20, 2008

Borders

I've decided Borders is my new happy place. Kind of Ironic, because if you know me, you know I hate to read. But lucky for me there are books with pictures. I was having one of those day where everything gets on your nerves and your just frustrated with the world, and then I went to Borders. Surrounded by all the inspiring subject matters, I started feeling better. I went to the art section and looked at the photographic books. Much like the ones we are making. I noticed a lot of things about these books. For started so many of them were about places or a collection of people. Very little surrounded ideas. hmph. I looked at a ton of sizes trying to figure out what was exactly right for my book. The cute 7 x 7 ones got lost in all the rest. They were easy to mange and flip through, but being small almost made them seem less important. The smaller ones that were more interesting were extremely thick. The larger sizes like 8x10 were so cumbersome and heavy I couldn’t look through the pages easily. I guess it would be easier if you were sitting down, but nothing was interesting enough to take off the shelf and sit down with for a while. That brings me to another query. How do you make a book interesting enough that people want to sit down and really look at it? Or buy it for that matter? All the books that I looked through I only scanned a few pages, never more than 5. And that’s so minuscule considering many of these books were 200 pages. But every time I came across text, I just kept turning the pages. What is going to make somebody stop and read the text? Maybe it doesn’t have to be read all the time. I realized it created a break between pages to create a better page to page flow for your eyes. The only text I read was in a book of arial view pictures. I came across a photograph that was astounding, puzzling, and mystifying. And I just had to read about it. So is the answer to getting people to read your text actually in the quality of your photographs, not the actual words?

1 comment:

Camila said...

Borders will do that to you. It used to be my favorite place to study calculus because when I would get so frustrated with my work I would go look at a picture of amazing photography or find something about motivation in one of the books to keep me going. I reallyyyy want to see your new book, but to answer your questions, it is the pictures that make me pick things up. I know you're not supposed to judge a book by the outside, but it really is what makes me pick them up. Once I've picked it up, if I see an amazing picture, I'll start reading to see what the book has to do with the picture.

Anyway, I'm going to start subscribing to your posts. They make me happy. I love you <3